January 21, 2010

Rod Building 101 - Part 1: Grip and Foregrip Set-Up

For my first rod I bought a St Croix kit and in terms of tools I didn't really buy any, so I'm using the box and book wrapper jig, the drill to sand the cork, and other things laying around when substitution was possible.

------Section 1 ------

Here is the grip and reel seat section of the build. Not that the handle kit from St Croix came with the foregrip, but I over reamed it and decided to get a new one. When I did, I realized it needed to be shaped so I built a makeshift rotating device based on some things I saw on the forum

First reamed the grip and that one fit nice. Used marking tape as recommended.

Then reamed the thing that goes inside of the reel seat (forgot the name). This one was a lot more tender so reaming was slower and more meticulous.



For the fore-grip, I over-reamed the one that cane with the set, so after finding the only local supplier I got one that I hadn’t planned on being standard in shape. Decided to figure out a way to smooth out the edges. Additional tools like clamps and driveway reflector courtesy of my local hardware store.




Sanded down with 90 - 140 - 320 sand paper.



Scary moment but this one was not over reamed (Fun Fact: I had bought 2 foregrips just in case, and after shaping this one, I thought I had reamed it to perfection when I noticed that I had reamed the unshaped one. So I decided to shape the already-reamed one and that worked out well.



Sanded down the blank gently to prepare for the epoxy.

Applied epoxy in between the masking tape and smoothed it out with the pop sickle stick.


Repeated steps for reel seat and fore grip, and then put some epoxy on the winding check when in was about 1inch from the foregrip, and voila.

Did some reaming inside of the cord to prepare it for the rounded shape of the plug.

Stuck in the plug by holding the handle grip tightly and rotating the plug slightly. I didn't want to temper with the way the grip had been glued to the blank a day before.

Still haven't cut the sticking end of the plug, but once that's done I'll sand it down and should be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment