February 3, 2010

Rod Building 101 - Part 4: Hook Keeping, Finishing Wraps, Cutting Off Handle Plug

------ Section 4 ------- Re-Wrapping the Hook Keeper

After the first coat, I had over-sanded the finish and got to the wrap. Therefore I ended-up having to strip off everything and start again :S (good practice I guess).




------ Section 5 ------ Finishing Guide Wraps + Finish

The first set of wraps for my guides had pretty thick trims. I decided to redo those and prefer the way they looked. 

My problem with thin trims was the wraps loosening up when cutting the tag ends, so I resolved that somewhat by:

1) rubbing denatured alcohol before on the blank
2) tightening my wraps (used my finders as well as the thread tensioner).
3) Didn't cut the tag ends until the first coat was cured and then shaved it off with a razor blade

Trims BEFORE thinning and finish:



Trim AFTER finishing and thinning (about 2-3 threads narrower):



Tip Top Trim: went with black to keep it subtle, added a small white spiral thingie (think they're called inlays)



Overview After first 2 Coats:





-------- Section 7 ----- Cutting Off Handle Plug

Although a little untimely, as it probably should have been done earlier, I also cut the plug with a razor, and sanded left-overs with 90-220-300 paper.


Progress Status: Once again I was sanding the hook keeper because I noticed a bump, but overdid it and am in the process of re-wrapping it. TODO: sign the road and add the last coats.

No comments:

Post a Comment